10 & 120 South Riverside Plaza Evaluation and Restoration
WGI completed and extensive evaluation of the structures that included the plazas, docks, sidewalks, and plenum space above the railroad tracks in a high traffic area near Union Station in downtown Chicago.
Recommendations were made for repairs to the structure as well as waterproofing protection. WGI designed and implemented all phases of this project. The work required careful phasing to maintain pedestrian traffic flow to, and around, the building during construction. Following waterproofing repairs, a new planter and paving system was installed as an architectural enhancement, providing additional green space, and seating along the riverfront property.
The project included:
- Full replacement of the building perimeter plaza systems
- Isolated but significant structural distress discovered
- Unforseen buried conditions exposed during the work
- Temporary decks built for restaurant dining during construction
- Nighttime and weekend work
- Coordination with Amtrak for property access